23 June, 2012

Unedited character

Allow me to introduce you to Olive Isabella. She is my neice and I love her to bits. I decided to post her on a few of my blogs because there is just something so luminous about children...especially when they are pretending to be grown up. In reality, I think we are all just pretending to be grown up. Keeping up with the everyday grind, worrying about what everyone else thinks. What would be like though, if we let the inner child come out of us more than once in a while (sometimes almost never for some). What is it about children? 

They are confident and courageous until we tell them No. 
I mean think about it, my cousin had the opportunity to dress himself for school when he was four. His outfit of choice: sweatpants, a superman shirt (complete with mini cape), cowboy boots and a clip on tie. When he came out of his room dressed, we asked why he chose the tie (I think we mildly understood the other parts of the ensemble because it was "hero" motif and little boys love that stuff). He said, the tie "made him feel important".  

Children keep the balance in the adult world. They trust. They get excited over cardboard boxes and other simple things- they aren't settling because they are genuinely happy with what they have. Their imaginations are immense because boundaries do not exist-yet. So when someone tells me I act like a child, great! I love that. That means I still have the rose colored lenses to see the world through. I trust there is enough people with pessimism, doubtful of opportunity to make up for my mostly whimsical attitude of life. While I appreciate hard work and responsibility that most adults strive towards, I appreciate children and their natural charisma. They are unedited characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment