18 June, 2012

Time is of the Essence

Ever find it curious how different things motivate different people?

I always wonder that. And, I am thankful that we all don't like the same things and everyone has their own visions for things. Life would be so boring if everyone had the same desires.

 Sometimes-even, we conform to what we perceive society desires or needs are. We feign interests in things we normally wouldn't in efforts to prove something or attract attention in the form of employers, admissions councils, authority figures, boyfriends or girlfriends, family members, etc.

You have met me in an interesting transition in my life friends.You see, after six years I finally departed my waiting place. You know, that place where you tell yourself "if I just make it through this (insert hardship here)" or "as soon as I get my bills paid off I will start..." or "once i get this... then I can do this...". This waiting place is a proverbial room filled with justifications for excuses, it is also a tank for self-doubt or the fear of the unknown. Sometimes you must rebel and break out of the jail you have created for mind.

That is a critical difference between dreamers and activists. scholars and mechanics. Balance is key, but we have given our mind the authority to control everything. When we give more control over one thing we experience over concentration. Things fall apart from it's normal state of equilibrium and then we lose our ability to become robust and well-rounded.

I bring this up because I have just made a major change in occupation. Something that was a grueling self-confrontation that has taken me six years to be accept and embark on changing my profession. While I don't believe in regrets, because I feel like this has allowed me a critical life lesson in discerning the differences between perseverance through a tough time and just becoming complacent enough to settle on something I really did not want.

You see, I chose my profession on the basis of what was going to give me the most bang for my buck, if you will. I wanted prestige (in efforts to prove to others that I could be on top), to assist in making the future outcome of the world better (warm and fuzzies, but I really did care), along with making money. Just typing that out makes me cringe at what I valued upon that career choice.

What was wrong with that issue among the many moral things? I really didn't hone in on any of the natural abilities that I had or challenges I was interested in pursuing for future self-growth. I didn't assess the types of skills I would need or be working on to see if it even fit with what I had a passion for. I didn't factor that this career was going to be comprising forty or more hours a week of my life.That would be like telling someone who has no care for eating broccoli to fill their dinner plate with fifty percent of the stuff and demand they enjoy it. One can argue that yes while it supplies nourishment, there are plenty other options available with a happier ending for both parties. Because why waste time in your life being unhappy forty or more hours a week?

Have you ever had that happen to you before friends? Maybe you have been battling something for so long, trying to prove yourself until you reach exhaustion. Or maybe you are trying to find the balance between compromise and settling. Don't waste anymore of your precious time on earth.

I once had a friend tell me that time is the most valuable thing because you can never get it back and you can never predict when it will end- unlike money, which most people value is in constant flux. Sometimes you have it sometimes you don't. Mortality is not like that. When you are dead, that's it. So start living while you are alive. Or to quote rapper Drake, "Everybody dies, but not everybody lives."













No comments:

Post a Comment